What It Is
The Hogan Business Reasoning Inventory (HBRI) is a business-related measure of cognitive ability, validated against business success criteria and designed to predict occupational success. It describes a person’s reasoning style – the ability to evaluate sets of data, make decisions, solve problems, and avoid repeating past mistakes. By assessing reasoning style, you can identify a person’s problem-solving style, understand their capacity, and identify areas for development.
The HBRI evaluates a person’s ability to make business-related decisions using textual, graphic and quantitative data. It evaluates two kinds of problem solving: tactical and strategic, and provides an overall measure of critical thinking capacity.
How to Use The Results
- Selection – the HBRI can identify individuals who learn quickly on the job, solve problems, anticipate barriers to change and understand the tactical and/or strategic implications of their actions.
- Individual Assessment – the HBRI evaluates a person’s fit with a range of jobs that differ in terms of their level of cognitive demands.
- Talent Management – the HBRI identifies individuals who perform well in cognitively demanding and intellectually challenging jobs in which people must learn quickly, solve problems accurately and evaluate data and arguments critically.
- Promoting Strategic Self-Awareness – the HBRI helps individuals understand their tactical and strategic reasoning strengths and develop career strategies that take advantage of their unique capabilities and competencies.
- A business-related measure of cognitive ability
- Validated against business success criteria
- Designed to predict occupational success
- Useful for candidate screening and career/leadership development